One of the most underutilized tools you can use when trying to lose weight is accountability. Many people think it sounds like something that is an optional part of weight loss but don't realize actually how essential it is for their weight loss success. Having someone in your corner to hold you accountable can:
1. Make you more likely to make healthier food choices.
2. Give you someone you can go to when you're having a hard time or facing a difficult situation.
3. Help you keep your recipe ideas fresh by giving you new ideas.
4. Encourage you when you feel like giving up.
5. Provide expert advice when you feel stuck.
Research shows that people who participate in a structured weight loss program that holds participants accountable to their goals and provides them with resources like recipes, encouragement and expert advice lose more weight than women who don't have a similar program in place.
Now here's where you think I'll sell you what I've got to offer. Certainly I am well qualified to be your accountability partner but if you can't afford a health coach you can start with a friend or family member. The advice you get from them may not be as "expert" but you can still feel a sense of encouragement and support when you purposefully interact with this person about your weight loss goals.
If you use a friend or family member there are a few things you'll want to include in your accountability plan:
1. regular meetings- weekly at first and if you're doing well you could spread those out so this means the person that's holding you accountable needs to take your weight loss and health improvement as seriously as you are
2. regular communication- some kind of communication whether this text or email needs to happen every few days between your meetings
3. honest feedback- the person keeping you accountable needs to be able to tell you when you're not doing your best but also when you're doing a great job. Sometimes it can be hard to hear honest feedback from someone that's a friend or family member. Make sure you're keeping this in mind when choosing who you'll ask.
Remember, you can do this! Accountability will help you reach your goal with less frustration and more confidence. I would absolutely love to coach you through your weight loss journey. To find out more information about the coaching I offer, go here.