When a person has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar and fat around their abdomen they have what's called metabolic syndrome.
Healthcare providers though it worth their time to give this combo of conditions a specific name because these are present in about 23 percent of adults in the US and GREATLY increases risks of things like heart attacks and strokes.
My point in telling you this is so you know YOU could have metabolic syndrome and have no idea you have it unless you actually go to a primary care provider and have your blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol checked. (You likely know whether or not you have fat around your abdomen without someone else telling you.)
If you do have metabolic syndrome, the time is NOW to start improving your numbers and minimizing your risk for serious health complications. If you don't have metabolic syndrome, the time is NOW to create healthy lifestyle habits that will prevent you from every acquiring the conditions that create metabolic syndrome.
If you've been following me for long you probably know what I'm going to tell you to do to manage your lifestyle. but I'll tell you on repeat because that's how important this is. If you're a new reader I'll give you my not-so- secret secrets to improving the health of every single cell in your body.
1. CUT OUT PROCESSED FOODS- Focus on eating foods that haven't been pre-packaged. Keeping your diet free from processed foods will greatly impact your health- including your blood pressure, blood sugar, body fat and cholesterol.
2. EXERCISE- aim to get 150 minutes of moderate intensity exercise every week.
3. DRINK WATER- Help your body process and eliminate toxins as well as keeping your body systems functioning optimally by drinking at least 64 ounces/day.
4. REDUCE STRESS- Stress can negatively impact every part of your body so find healthy ways to cope with stress because it's an inevitable part of life. Also make sure that you're not shooting yourself in the foot by doing things that add to stress in life without adding to your quality of life.
5. SLEEP- every adult should be getting 7-9 hours of sleep a night. The positive impact of sleep is immeasurable. Turn off netflix, your social media feeds, etc. to catch some zzzz's. Set an alarm not only for time to wake up in the morning but also time to go to sleep at night to make sure you're giving yourself the chance to get proper sleep.
Alright, this topic can get really dry but I'm going to attempt to give you all of the important information without making you want to click the "x" at the top right corner of this page :) !
Before you think this topic isn't applicable to you- ONE IN THREE AMERICANS AGED 20 AND OLDER HAS METABOLIC SYNDROME!
To be diagnosed with metabolic syndrome you must have 3 of the following:
Now, why is it important that you avoid metabolic syndrome?
By avoiding metabolic syndrome you avoid substantially increasing your risk for diabetes and heart disease. You are NEVER too young to start taking steps to avoid metabolic syndrome.
Two of the most basic steps you can take to lower your risk are 1) Eat healthy foods, 2) Exercise regularly.
What will you do to lower your risk for metabolic syndrome??!!