Celebrations of independence are just around the corner and just as with any celebration, if you're trying to stay on track with your healthier living efforts your parties may require a little extra planning to offer some food options that aren't going to totally derail your efforts.
Depending on where you are on your health journey you could choose to approach celebrations in a few different ways:
1. Don't indulge at all. This approach is the hardest for some and the easiest for others. It really depends on how you're doing with your sweet tooth. Some find that if they indulge at all then they completely go overboard with what they eat so it's easier to stay on track if they don't indulge at all. Others will feel over restricted and then begin a binge cycle.
2. Plan your indulgence. For most people, this is the my suggested approach to celebrations because it's usually the most sustainable approach. Go into the day knowing you're going to have some delicious food you wouldn't normally eat and have the mindset that you'll get right back to your better food choices the next day. Where this could get you in trouble is if you have trouble resisting a binge once you start eating indulgent foods OR you have access to leftovers of the less-than-ideal food options and your indulgence carries over into several days.
3. See how you're feeling. This approach tends to lend itself to disaster unless you use it carefully. First, you should think about how you're feeling now that you've started to nourish your body with healthier foods and compare it to how you felt when you weren't making the best choices for your body. Next, remember your goals and your reason for starting a healthier lifestyle. Then approach the parties and events with the goal of having fun but not over-indulging. This approach may be perfect for those of you who struggle with obsessing over foods and feeling over restricted.
To help yourself out it's smart to bring a healthier dish to events that you would like to eat yourself. Chances are there are plenty of other people at the event that will appreciate your healthier option. Here are just a few ideas:
1. Watermelon Caprese with Balsamic Glaze
2. July 4th Charcuterie Board
3. Quick Watermelon Skewers
4. 4th of July Fruit Kabobs
5. Blueberry Tomato Caprese
6. Watermelon and Blueberry Sparklers
7. Red, White and Blueberry Parfait